OK well this week has not been so hot on the body. Here is an update on me and my big issues. Before I was pregnant I had Hip issues that caused me pain when standing and walking and it was really tight, giving me Sciatica from time to time. I was concerned that this was going to be a problem in pregnancy and was going to Physical therapy but when I got noticeably pregnant PT was not helping because I could not stretch or move much with my belly in the way. I also took a good fall last winter snowboarding and have had back pain in my lumbar spine that concerned me.
Well to my surprise my Body did great with pregnancy despite all the fluid your body makes this great hormone called relaxin to allow your joints and ligaments to spread for labor, it does however make you at risk for falling, clumsiness and injuries. It also can cause people to have joint pain from the movement. I was lucky I had a bit of hip pain from the spreading but overall all my main issues had gone by the wayside likely from all the fluid I was retaining. No back pain, and my sciatica was pretty good. My feet hurt but it was from carrying extra weight, being swollen and being on my feet all day working.
However at 34 weeks when I began to get puffy and retain lots of fluid I began getting carpel Tunnel symptoms. Every medical person said it will go away when I have the baby. As I got puffier and continued to work it got worse I couldn't sleep at night and had to wear braces that I eventually wore in the daytime.
After I gave birth it did not subside my wrist actually got a bit worse and although the night time stuff is OK the repeated activities and feeding and carrying Maycen have brought new frustrating challenges. I finally had my hand therapy appointment and was not super impressed with the doctor. He actually did not ask me what I had been doing or anything he just suggested the cortisone injection. So I did one injection in my right wrist and things were good for about 5 hours afterward but by evening my wrist hurt soo bad, I have been taking Motrin around the clock and today I am having trouble putting any weight or holding anything. What a mess!
On top of the wrist issue, as I have begun to work out and all the fluid has come off I am now experiencing the return of my hip issues and my spine. My hip is really tight. I wish they could package that relaxin hormone, it worked great for me.
On the positive side I know now that my wrist could hurt a hole lot more than they do on a regular basis! Hopefully it just hurts now and it will feel better in a week. Also because I have been working out I am about 5 pound from my pre-pregnancy weight, yippee! So I am happy for that, even with all the Easter candy out there:) It is so nice to be some what back in my clothes, nothing quite looks the same as before but the numbers are close on the scale at least!
Here are some other things I have been doing for my wrist before I get a ton of suggestions. I am taking vitamins and supplements, primrose oil vit b6, motrin, can't use diuretics with breastfeeding, using a chiropractor, doing exercises with a rubber band on my hand, wearing braces and stretching, and now cortisone injections. I am looking to do acupuncture maybe if things don't look up but it is like $70 out of pocket.
Anyway if anyone has any other solutions, surgery is on my list but the recovery is extensive and they do one hand at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment