Friday, June 8, 2012

Broderick John Toppenberg

 

WELCOME BRODY!

 Broderick John Toppenberg, Born June 5th 2012 at 6am at Madigan Army Medical Center
7.9 pounds and 21 inches long.

Named after Jared's Father, Christopher Richard (Rick) and Becky's Grandfather John Good

Last Wednesday I finished my last day of work and was hopeful that T2 (baby boy Toppenberg) would wait for his Dad to finish his school and for Nana to arrive on the 31st.  Labor contractions and signs began on Wednesday night the 30th and got significantly stronger into thrusday early morning.  I even texted Nana to see if she could catch a sooner flight.  However, my contractions were irregular and by the time we left for the airport they had almost stopped.  I had an appt scheduled for that afternoon and I went into get checked.  I was at 3 cm and 75% effaced.  However, after my appointment Friday morning things really slowed down. So I decided to go back to work.  I figured my contractions pick up when I am on my feet and I had some things to get done so I could save my leave.  On Monday, I was working I ran the stairs down a few times and sure enough I had a hunch that my water may have broken.  So I went down to the OB floor after my shift and got checked and I was dilated to 4 and 80% not much progress for all the contractions I had had earlier that week.  But my water apparently did break a small leak around 11am and again around 1pm.  My midwife swept my membranes, you can look that up if you want to know what that is all about:) was rather uncomfortable last week but did not hurt that bad this time.  I was told I had to return with in 3 hours.  Because I was GBS+ I needed to get antibiotics during labor.      Jared and I made arrangements for Maycen and daycare for the next day and planned for having my Mom at the delivery once things got rolling.  We tucked in Maycen who had a clue something big was up as she was super clingy.  We arrived a bit late but around 9:30 and contractions were a bit stronger I was 5cm at 10:30 and then we sat and waited as Labor and delivery was busy, there was 4 C-sections happening and a 34 weeker being delivered.  So we were not the priority and I even told Jared we should try to sleep as my contractions seemed to get further apart almost 15 minutes.  However they started my antibiotics and IV fluids and sure enough just having to get up to pee from the IV fluids began to make my contractions start again.  Eventually,  my contractions got stronger and then around 2:30 am my contractions were so strong my water broke on its own.  And when I say broke I mean like the flood waters parted right into my pink slippers.  This never happened when my water broke with Maycen. We called my Mom to come quickly thinking it would be a fast labor. But things progressed, on track per my Midwife team but way too slow for me. I kept asking to be checked and was so disappointed each time they didn't say I was fully dilated.  I was feeling the need to push early on with my contractions.  I was all over the place trying to find a position that worked best for me but nothing really felt good, the fan was blasting, my mouth was dry as can be,  my Ipod was playing Dave Mathews "You and Me" for motivation. After many position changes I wanted to go in the tub at around 8 cm and It finally felt better, I still was having super strong contractions and had a hard time finding a place to brace myself in the tub.  My nurses checked me again and were concerned that I was going to deliver in the tub and really wanted me out of the tub, Madigan does not allow tub births.  I hurried back to my room with the onset of another contraction as I did not want to sound like Tarzan in the hallway. Once I was fully Dilated  I began the real work, I was already so exhausted at this point.  Not sure why I can't labor and give birth during regular business hours and not after a full day of work.  Something about Madigan and work that just makes me go into labor I guess!  I don;t really remember this but my Mom tells me that my arms and legs where shaking I was holding on to the birth bar with everything I had, I just couldn't let go of the bar.  It seemed like I wasn't making any progress.  We were doing the 3 long pushes with holding for 10 seconds, so painful I had a hard time doing the full 10 seconds and doing them back to back.  My Midwife was not in the room at this time and I remember leaning forward when the nurse was coaching me and saying your going to deliver this baby aren't you? Eventually Jared got behind me in bed and I found myself in a similar position that I gave birth to Maycen in called the "sleigh ride".  Jared helped me to push against his chest and together we pushed our little guy into the world.  He came out really fast from the point that you couldn't see his head to one more push and he was out.  I remember the Midwife hurrying into the room and trying to get her gloves on and set up just as I felt another contraction building.  I tried to wait to push but I couldn't and sure enough out came Brody and the Nurse and Baby Nurse caught him.

When he came out he looked really good but he was having a little trouble breathing, gasping and tugging around his neck with breathing, they gave him a little bit of Oxygen.  He had great Apgars but 20 minutes later he still was struggling a bit and needed to be deep suctioned.  He seemed better after that and he did not have to go to the NICU or anything.

Before Picture!                                                                     After Picture!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers