Monday, March 26, 2012

Post Birth Complications and Post partem Feeling and Advice from Mom and friends

This is a FB post from a friend of mine and the responses from her Fellow Mother's and Friends.  I thought it was some great advice so I thought I would share incase anyone else was feeling challenges or in a simular situation. Names have been removed for privacy as best as I could.

NEEDING ADVICE!
Hi ladies. So you likely know that I had baby last Saturday...he is a dream!!!

After 22 hours of labor we had to go the c-section route due to placement.

Things were going well in recovery till right before I left hospital on Wednesday. I've been vomiting and dealing with intestinal (gas) along with other things. We went to OB/GYN to check things out. They did plenty of tests that came back normal. But I feel like I'm going downhill fast. We have pulled in reinforcement (my parents came late last night) to help DH with the every 3 hour feedings and tending to me.

Have any of you experienced similar symptoms and if so do you have advice you can give? My biggest concern is that I have not been able to breast feed because I've been so sick. I'm trying to pump when I can. My milk has not come in yet....worried!!

Between the lactation consults, doctors, pediatrician....we are getting mixed info on how to proceed with breast feeding and supplementing L. with formula (which we are doing currently).

Just could use some support from anyone that may have experienced similar issues after giving birth.

XO - C

Erin
  • Hey C,
    C-sections are quite the experience. We had an emergency one with my second little one and it definitely through me for a loop. I experienced being light headed and had to be checked more frequently. I found I was useless for over a week. I never got sick but the gas was awful. Remember that you were wide open ont he table for a bit so air is trapped when they close you up. I actually felt it into my shoulder blades. I tried Gas-X for comfort but I just had Dan keep rubbing where I could stand to be touched to try to get it out.
    As for breast feeding...your milk will probably take longer to come in if you are dehydrated from being sick. I would say pump when you are up for it but also try to latch L...I think the baby to the breast makes the milk come in faster. I had to supplement Ava with formula because she was so little but once my mild came in we went back to just breast milk and she was fine. I know how important breast feeding is, but keep in mind your health too and try not to stress about it.
    Also, I found after my c-section I was hit very hard with hormones and post-partum...I never dealt with that with my first.
    I really hope you feel better soon. L looks perfect and I'm sure S is doing a great job while you are recovering.
    xoxo
    Erin

Janice
  • Hi C,
    I feel your pain...I too had an unplanned c-section and struggled with breast feeding. It took about a week before my milk really came in and then my son wouldn't latch on right and he would get super worked up. We would both end up crying! Because of the latch issue, I ended up getting a cracked nipple. Not good. After struggling for 6 weeks and supplementing with formula, I finally gave up breast feeding. I struggled with major guilt, but in the end I think I made the right decision. Both Calvin and I were happier and I could just enjoy my son with out being so stressed.
    My advice to new moms is to try your best to breast feed and do it for as long as you can, but if you reach a breaking point and quit, don't beat yourself up over it.
    Rest up while you have help!! Janice

Amanda

Flavored coconut water for re hydrating, better for you than all the -ades. When Judith was a week old I got the stomach flu and was so dehydrated I slept on the bathroom floor and Ed literally "dropped her in" for feedings every 3 hrs. It was awful.

  • No c section advice but as I understood it the more they latch the faster your milk comes in/strengthens your supply--thus the reasons for those nurses pestering you and waking kiddo up to feed. So let him latch (and keep an eye on that latch and your nipples ! Not a bad idea to have some gel pads and soothies on hand, and don't be afraid to use them!)

    And most of all, what is it they say about the best laid plans? Pregnancy (and recovery!) is hard to plan. However it ends up, know it will be ok.

    Another thought, as your having medical issues, perhaps your insurance may cover a hospital grade pump? Might be worth an inquiry, and it may stimulate you better than your pump.
Abby
  • Oh C! I should call u later. I went through hell trying to breastfeed Ames. I will give u all the info I know. Also, did u call the lac consultants at Abbott and talk with Cathy? She was my best friend when it came to breastfeeding. Jen Schultz just went thru breastfeeding hell with Bowen too and Cathy got her right on track!
Ang
C,
  • I did not have a C-Section but since AJ was born early and had to be in the hospital for 10 days I have some advice about the breastfeeding to pass on.

    Since AJ was a premie he did not have the energy to get through a full feeding of breast milk. It takes way more energy to breastfeed than bottlefeed for the baby. So, they would have me attempt to breastfeed for 10 minutes or so (you could maybe do more since Leo probably has more strength than AJ) than swith to the bottle for the rest of the feeding. Just holding Leo to your breast will help your milk come in. Then right away I would go and pump - 10 minutes a side or until I felt like a had emptied. Now, until my milk came in - they had me do the same thing, 7 times a day. That is every three hours skipping one feeding in the middle of the night so I could get one 5-6 hour span of sleep. You could either skip and have your mom or Scott bottle feed or since he is home with you you could attempt to do it all 8 times. The sleep is important too though. You should drink a lot of water too. The sleep and hydration should help the milk come in too. The other thing that I could recommend is that you rent from the hospital one of the hospital grade pumps to get started. They are stronger than the kinds we buy in the store. I rented one for a month or two and because of that I ended up with a good supply which I was able to freeze. It was exhausting in the beginning - feed for 10-15 minutes, bottle feed for 10-15 minutes, pump for 20 minutes, try to sleep when the baby sleeps and then do it all again. It is worth it though if you can get your supply up.

    Anyways, this is a lot of info but I think the most important piece of advice is to attempt to feed him as much as possible and pump at every feeding. I hope it helps! Thinking of you - such a joyous time, yet really exhausting and frustrating to figure out the breastfeeding! Not to mention being hormonal!

    Good Luck C :-)
    Angie


Helena
  • Hello darling! Facebook was my lifeline during recovery so I'm glad you are reaching out! You probably know that I had a similar experience of 28 hour labor then emergency c/s, and an extended hospital stay and months of postpartum bedrest. I had A LOT of difficulty initially- my milk took a very long time to come in and I never produced enough to bf exclusively. Ultimately breastfed for 2 years though which was an amazing experience that Zach and I had a hard time 'giving up'. :).

    Here's my two cents:
    -Pick up a copy of the best book ever: "The nursing mother's companion" by Kathleen Huggins- I have a copy but it is a loaner, happy to look up answers
    -continue to call lactation specialists for advice and support
    -rest and drink plenty of fluids, there is a tea that you can buy at co-ops that's supposed to help you produce more milk(we were too overwhelmed to find it, I'll try to find some for you)
    -we tried a syringe, tube along my breast, cupping etc to get Zach to latch... Let me know if u have more questions and haven't tried with your lactation specialist... it was more me than Zach that had issues but I have several friends who had preemies and other feeding issues
    -I alternated breastfeeding and pumping as much as I could. Because I had severe anemia, I kept falling asleep so as ridiculous as it sounds and looks, I have a pumping bra that holds the cups on :) I have a double Medela pump in style breast pump which is probably the next best thing to the hospital grade. You are welcome to borrow any of it and I have extra tubes, storage bottles, and bf supplies. There are some AMAZING breast patches and nipple creams that saved me.
    - I never pumped to have 'extra' milk. The best I ever did was probably 50/50. I breastfed and probably every other feeding, we supplemented with Similac Sensitive. The upside is Chris enjoyed the time with Zach, giving him bottles and it gave me some time to rest. Once he was older, I gave Zach some bottles, too, but not early on when he was learning. (We did notice a tremendous difference in formulas. Zach was extremely picky which is how we came up with the nickname Zach Attack. If he got formula, it had to be the perfect temperature and fast!! He would go from happy to screaming so we learned to anticipate his feedings and diaper changings. We warmed his bottle in a coffee cup more than once!)
    -Speaking of which, would you like to borrow our Itsy timer? It has several stopwatch buttons and really helped us communicate in our delirium the last time Zach was fed, changed, pooped.

    -not sure on the gas, I had edema (no knees and complete cankles!) from all the iv's and extended hospital stay and they said the only thing I could do was try to walk and flush it out of my system and tissues. Most painful walks around the dining room table ever :( also took a stool softener gel capsule two times daily. I was TERRIFIED of that first poop...!

Sara
  • Hi C. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. But I am happy that you reached out. It's amazing to me how many women go through some sort of problem (especially with breastfeeding) post-child birth but feel so alone. As you can see from the above comments, you are not alone! So many of us have been exactly (or in a similar situation as) where you are.

    I did not have a C-section with either child so I can't really speak to that. But when it comes to breastfeeding, that I have experience with. Especially with the frustration. My milk for my first did not come in really at all for 3 weeks. I was pumping, having E latch on, had lactation specialists over, everything. We had to supplement E's diet because she was losing too much weight and was hysterical everytime we tried feeding. Needless to say it was a stressful situation for all.

    After about 3 weeks my milk started coming in, but not enough. I went through the routine that Angela mentioned--breastfeed, bottle feed, and pumping--every feeding. This took about an hour and with needing to feed every 3 hours, it was literally all I felt like I was doing. The stress of each feeding was getting to me and obviously getting to my infant daughter. After over a month of this E was getting more and more confused with the breast verses bottle and stopped latching at all. It was at this point that I decided to stop breastfeeding. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made and I was filled with guilt over it.

    Once I made that decision and we moved forward it was so much better for all. Marc was able to enjoy more one-on-one feeding time and I was actually able to enjoy feeding my daughter. I'm not telling you this to convince you of anything, just know that what works for some women, doesn't work for all. And you need to do what works for you and that beautiful baby boy.

    But, first and foremost, take care of yourself--which I know is hard to think of "first" since you have a newborn--but you need to be healthy for that lil boy so take advantage of the extra help. I hope you start to feel better soon. Please let us know if you need anything. :)

Jessie
  • Hey C- Again.....congrats on beautiful L!
    After my water broke at 35 weeks and 4 days, I had a c-section with the twins due to their position and ended up having many complications. I hemorrhaged and became severely anemic and was admitted back into the hospital for a transfusion, then a few days after that was admitted again due to post postpartum pe-eclampsia... then ended it all with a kidney infection...needless to say, I was very sick and felt overwhelmed with the task of breastfeeding twins and building a supply.

    I had great help from family (as you do) and RELIED on the lactation consultants at the hospital.
    Even though I was so sick and could barely function, I put the babes to the breast and pumped afterwards. When I was in the hospital the 2 times after birth I pumped every 3 hours around the clock.
    I agree with the other ladies...if you feel your pump might not do the job, rent one from the hospital just for a month or so.
    I drank a ton of Gatorade and it sounds like coconut milk replenishes fluids as well. Have the docs suggested going back to the hospital for IV fluids if you are vomiting a lot????

    Overall, it is all about breast stimulation....baby to the breast even if not suckling, pumping around the clock and knowing "This to shall pass"...Being sick after a c-section and trying to breastfeed is one of the hardest things I have had to endure. I wanted to give up so many times...I am happy to say I have been exclusively breastfeeding M and N for 5 and a half months and am so glad I stuck to the advice of lactation.
    With that said....don't ever feel guilty with the decisions you make. Do what is best for you and L. With my first "Benicio" I only lasted 6 weeks breastfeeding and he is doing just fine!
    Take care and let me know if you ever need to talk!
    Jessie

Molly
  • Hi c! Wowzah, you are definitely going through the trenches right now! Hang in there and definitely keep reaching out to everyone you know for support - it helps to know that you're not alone!
    I did not have a c-section, or a ton of problems breastfeeding, but I am a lactation educator. Id be happy to talk to you on the phone if you need. I second the continue reaching out to a lactation consultant. They tend to be more informed than a pediatrician or OB on breastfeeding because it is their specialty. Keep Leo on your breast at least every 2 hours, even if he doesn't get any milk. Your breasts need his stimulation and Leo needs the practice. Not to mention the skin to skin time for both of you is essential in the healing process :). If you can't hold him on your belly you could always try lying side to side in the bed to alleviate having to put pressure on your tummy.
    My girlfriend had similar stomach bug like symptoms after her delivery and I remember her saying it ended up being a staph infection. You said you were tested and everything was normal, but just in case your symptoms don't go away you may want to press your doctors.
    Please give me a call cinda - I'd be happy to get a sense of the advice you've been given by your caregivers and I can weigh in where I can. Hang in there!!
    Molly
  • Mandy

Hi C,
  • I'm sorry to find out that you went through all that work of labor and then had a c-section. And, now you are having complications. Ugh. I also had a tough time with labor with Liam. I was in labor for DAYS! I don't even know the hours. It was horrible. I had pushed hard for 4 long hours and the only reason why I didn't have a c-section was because the doctor on duty was busy with multiple emergency c-sections at the time, but miraculously Liam finally came out with the help of suction, three nurses and a doctor in then end! When it was over though, I was down for the count. I couldn't walk (I pinched a nerve) I had an infection, it felt like I couldn't do anything and I had to figure out how to breast feed this new tiny being that we were now responsible for... but somehow I made it through with help from lactation consultants, a couple of in-home visit from a nurse, going to the doctor and also with help from family and friends.

    I really like the advice that Helena gives above... continue to call and get help... drink LOTS of fluids... supplement... try to get plenty of rest...

    There might be a trick with holding heat pads to your breasts too. When my milk finally came in, I had to alternate hot and cold to get through the engorgement part. So, the hot is to get milk flowing and the cold is to ease the pain from being super swollen. Maybe heating them up might help? Something to ask about?
    Ask if there is something better that you can try to alleviate the gas... I had some issues with that too (the stuff just wasn't passing through properly). I finally used something that worked. I can't remember what it was for the life of me though.

    In case you are getting sore with pumping and latch attempts... ask to get a prescription for Magic Nipple Cream. It was my life saver!!!
    Having a baby puts your body through heck and back, but it will get better little by little each day. I wish I was closer to you so that I could help. Hopefully you have friends and family that can do all of the other chores for you while you just focus on you and your baby. Ask for help with laundry and food... people will come!
    You can always call me or text me too!
    Mandy
Jamie
  • C - First off, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all this when I know all you want to do is feel great and snuggle your beautiful little L. I didn't have a c-section with either of my boys and didn't have problems with latch or breastfeeding in general....but I have to say - breastfeeding is so stressful (my supply wasn't fantastic, so "freedom" from feeding was a problem) that I can't imagine dealing with the complications.
    -Was going to say that in terms of how you feel, you did say that they did all the testing and everything turned out fine. I was extremely anemic with #2 and should have had a transfusion. I know that that can contribute to problems with your milk coming in. The only other tips I would have have already been mentioned --- drink gatorade and hydrate the best that you can. In addition, nice warm baths/showers/heat on your breasts may really help as well. I think that once you start feeling better and hydrate, the milk will come in and well. Hang in there. Jessie gave great advice in saying that you need to keep in mind, "this too shall pass." It does.

Janelle
C, So sorry to hear this, but like all others, I am glad you are reaching out.
I had a planned C-section, and the breast feeding was a struggle, I remember sobbing in the middle of the night to Chris feeling like I was incapable of keeping Josie alive. It was pretty rough. I don't really reach out for help mcuh because "i am strong" and I think part of it is that I work in a man's world, but those are my weaknesses.

We supplemented, but I also found that pumping right away like they are saying worked and having the skin time with Josie as much as possible helped. Josie was so little, I didn't mae a ton of milk and we wanted Chris to have a bond that we supplemented the whole time.

I am happy to help in any way I can.
You are in my thoughts and prayers,
Janelle

Molly
  • C, have you guys considered a post partum doula? There are pp doulas that have lactation certifications and tend to work in tandem with board certified lactation consultants. Here's a place you can start if you find you need extra help in addition to your wonderful family.
Holly
  • C,
    I didn't have the opportunity to breast feed and believe me, attachment to my children and their health was not compromised. I know breast milk is best, but don't feel guilty about not being able to if that is what ends up happening. Leo will be amazing and your bond with him will be unmatched regardless of how you feed him. On the plus side, being able to share in the feedings is a fabulous thing...especially in the middle of the night!

    Just remember that your health and recovery is THE MOST important thing right now. Try not to stress about your milk. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't even compare to how amazing it is that you have this little boy and that he will THRIVE with the love from you and S.
  • I'm sorry the surgery is taking a toll on your poor body! I know C-Sections are no walk in the park! Take care of yourself and everything else will fall into place.
    -Holly

Kristin
  • Oh I fell for you. I had a terrible vaginal delivery, great vaginal and a planned c-section. I has able the Br feed all 3 with 3 completely different starts. The one advice I would give you ifpossible is trust yourself and make this as natural as possible. It is exhausting to keep getting out of the house for the appointments. Just cuddle up in bed and nurse or pump, sleep and hydrate. Be kind and accepting to yourself on whatever happens. You are baby Leo are in my prayers

Jodi
So sorry you're having to deal w/these post-c-section complications. I'm so glad though that your mom & dad are able to help with everything, and that Scott is such a great & supportive husband. I hope you turn the corner soon and start feeling better!
  • You are SO SMART to reach out to all of your mommy friends w/questions and for support. Clearly, your friends are all fabulous and have wonderful advice and experiences to speak from. And, as mothers, I think all of us want to help/support each other however possible, even if it's speaking from personal experience. And, we ALL know that with kids - nothing is text book. Oddly enough, I think we all learn that the day we arrive home from the hospital, with guilt stamped on our foreheads for every experience we are about to embark on with these little people... whether it's breastfeeding or falling off the jungle gym. Every baby is different. Every birth experience is different. And, well... it's best to just expect the unexpected and don't put extra stress or pressure on yourself to do what someone else (or a book, etc.) says you should be doing, but do what works best for you and your baby. Because that is what is most important. It's easier said than done, but don't feel guilty if something doesn't work out the way you had planned or envisioned... whether it's breastfeeding, being stay-at-home mom, etc. You just need to make sure you do what is best for you, your baby and your family.

    I have never had a c-section, so I can't lend any advice there. But, I did breastfeed my 4 kiddos... and I'd have to say I learned a LOT with the twins. My suggestions if you want to pursue breastfeeding would be to:
    1. Stimulate your breasts ever 2-3 hours, around the clock.

    1a. Every 2-3 hours, have Leo nurse for 10-15 minutes. Having him just suck and be skin to skin is better than any breast pump for getting your milk to come in (if he's latched properly, of course... and that takes a bit of training). Your body, naturally, will respond better to a baby sucking than just a pump.

    1b. Right after he nurses, reward Leo with a feeding via bottle from Scott, your mom/dad, or you, if nobody else is around.

    1c. Pump! Pump for 10-15 minutes while someone else is bottle feeding Leo or right after you're done feeding him.

    2. Call a lactation consultant or find out if one can visit your home. If Leo is not latching properly, it can cause a LOT of nipple soreness/pain, and he will not be able to stimulate your breasts properly or get the milk he wants/needs. A lactation consultant will be able to assist with teaching both you AND Leo how to breastfeed. He needs to latch properly. You need to set him up for success with placement, propping and assistance.

    3. Get well! To produce breast milk you need to be well hydrated - so drink lots! And, your caloric intake needs actually exceed what they were while you were pregnant. Sounds crazy - but true. Don't stress about the eating part - trust me when I say you'll feel hunger like you've never felt before. :)

    The morning after the twins were born, a lactation consultant had me start a routine of having them nurse for 10-15 minutes (and this of course was when they were still sleepy and not good *suckers*), followed by pumping on each breast for the same amount of time. So, the babies weren't getting much. They probably got more colostrum from the syringe we'd feed them with after they did their time sucking. But, my milk came in 3 days. And, I continued the sucking/pumping routine for at least 2-3 weeks around the clock. Then, once my supply was good, I started not nursing them as often due to time constraints (they were treating me like a snack bar... they'd fall asleep, etc., and I just didn't have time to take care of my 2 year old and spend 45 min nursing each baby, followed by pumping, and then starting the routine over again, etc.). So, they were mostly bottle fed with breast milk. Eventually, I was pumping ever 3-4 hours during the day, and then I would allow myself to go 6-7 hours at night without pumping (again - once the milk supply was ample). At one point I pumped 17oz of milk at one sitting. I was a human cow. Literally. Also, I LOVED that the twins were bottle fed in that it allowed other people to help with the feedings. There are definite perks to whatever you choose - breastfeeding or bottle feeding. But, if you do go the route of bottle feeding, it will allow Scott to help with one night feeding and you to sleep for a 5 hour stretch.

    Anyway - do what works best for you. Don't feel guilty or put stress on yourself to make the breastfeeding thing work if it starts getting too frustrating. What is most important is that you are in good health and that baby is loved, and getting the food he needs to be comfortable and grow. Whether he drinks breast milk or formula will not make him feel less loved or you a bad mom. You already are an amazing momma!!

    Take care... call/text/email anytime... and I really hope you start feeling better SOON!

Monica
Don't doubt yourself! You know your body better than anyone else. If that voice is telling you somethings not right, push to get answers or get a 2nd opinion. You should not be this I'll from a CS, in my opinion. Lifting you up in prayers!
  • Michelle

C- you've gotten great input from everyone above. I'll keep it short and sweet and it will echo what you've already been told.

  • 1. rest rest rest = very important
    2. increase your fluids
    3. my lactation consultant had me on a supplement which for the life of me I've forgotten what it was. Ask your's for recommendation
    4. try not to stress - it impedes your ability to nurse
    5. my lactation consultant was an angel - she made me feel normal when I was struggling - this is the type of person you should be interacting with. If you're not, find another one.
    6. we supplemented at first and after things normalized, I had soooooooo much milk production, I could have stockpiled for YEARS - it will come ;-)

    And remember to breathe and know you have a wonderful support group to lean on.

    Love, Michelle

Monica
Nursing: agree with everyone who said to nurse for 10-15 min, have someone supplement feed Leo while u pump for 10-15 min. With my 1st-it took 5 days of regular nursing for milk to come in. You'll get there!
  • Bottom line-u got your L!!

Helena
  • C,
    Here are some suggestions for dealing with gas...
    -fresh ginger tea (anti-inflammatory, anti-nausea, soothing)
    -peppermint tea (soothes the stomach, relieves gas)
    -warm prune juice
    -avoid carbonation
    -avoid constipating or gassy foods
    -stool softener or glycerin suppository (if doctor recommended)
    -rocking in a rocking chair (if you can manage)
    -sleeping on your stomach (again, if you can manage)

    I would be happy to bring you some "healing foods" and a care basket, as well as meals for Scott. Just let me know a good time to drop-off and message me your address again. xoxo, Helena,
  • Becky

Congrats C- Everyone has such great advice, some of the things people are talking about, the over the counter herbal pill for increasing milk is fenugreek, and an oral medication is Reglan, the Lactation person can advise you on this although you are just post op and Post partem about a week or so so really if your supply is bad in months to come that is a better time to consider that option.
  • Don't beat yourself up over it, new babies that breastfeed typically eat only about 1tblspoon to 1 0z each feed. So your supply especially with a learning curve of being new Mom and stress of all you have been through with C-section can be hard on your milk but you also don't need a ton at this point. If you need to suppliment don't beat yourself up over it but if baby is getting Expressed breastmilk that is good too. We recommend putting baby to breast first and then pumping to new mom's, look up "boobie tubes" or simular product to apply 5-10 minutes before pumping/feeding for let down.
    Keep your lactation specialist on speed dial see if you can make a private appt if they offer a group only.
    About how you are feeling post op. You have been through a lot and it wasn't planned for, rest but if you are feeling something is really off don't just write it off, check your temp, if you have a fever (could mean post op infection/Labor infection, or mastidis) You will need to be seen again immediately.

    Just know that no one, until this wonderful little post really gets into all the hardships we had outright with the first few weeks home....Maybe its god way of helping you to forget as I am about to do this all over again in about a month or so! It is a big learning curve but know that L. will get it and you will too. I teach breastfeeding to Mom's everyday but I found myself in tears of frustration when my daughter came, my hubby was watching TV, my Mom was reading a book and I was sobbing with a screaming little baby at my breast! We'll we breastfed for a year it took about 2 months till I really felt I had it down, went back to work, all new challenges and I used a nipple shield the entire time. Do what works for you and don't feel guilty about it!

    Do look into a hospital grade pump if you are stuggling or don't have a good double pump.
    Medela pump n style, or the handfree freestyle is great
    walmart sells a comparable brand that is cheaper, called the lansinol double pump.
    Hugs, Becky
C

First of all, thank you all so much for the amazing feedback and personal stories. They helped calm me and allowed me to not feel so alone with my situation. Thank you for taking the time to share!!!

I feeling slightly better today...have not thrown up. Just trying to regain a lot of strength. I've go the energy of a baby bird. I'm able to drink more and have had a few crackers today. A nurse from Abbott is stopping by the house tomorrow to check on us. L is doing beautifully. Scott and my Mom went to his pediatrician appt on Friday...the boy is gaining weight well.

Good news, my milk came in after sending out this message. I've been pumping every 3 hours to keep up with L's feelings. We have been feeding him with a dropper and our pinky. Hoping to get him back on the breast in the next day or so. At the hospital we were struggling with latching on, getting a wide open mouth from L and sticking with it. Boy does it hurt when he works his way down to the nipple! So physically and mentally I need to be ready to dedicate again to this. We still need to supplement some with formula. My milk production was gaining yesterday but slowed down today. I'm guessing that's normal or related to my dehydration. I did rent the hospital grade pump and brought it home with us. My amazing parents went to Target and picked up a hands free breast pump bra for me as the carpal tunnel has just gotten worse post delivery. The bra is a must!!!!

I've had some great skin on skin with him today....such an amazing thing that we both love. Our connection is quite apparent...so wonderful! I love this little man!

My mom will be with us this week....again, thank goodness. S is a rockstar! He's adapting to the new dad thing SO well! He had his first projectile poop today...it literally went a across the room! He's been super cool with it all.
Can't wait to be back to myself and start this parenting thing full time!!!
Thanks again gals....you have no idea how much you've helped me!!

Big Hugs to you - C

  • Megan
    • Hi C,
      What a welcome to motherhood! Yikes! I didn't have a c-sect with any of my boys and I didn't have a problem with my milk production, but I did have a hard time with how BAD it hurts at first. My advice with that is to get a "nipple shield". La Leche probably won't suggest doing it ("its not natural"), but it totally helps the tenderness of the nipples!!!! I used it for about a week or two with all three of my boys. Life saver for me. Also, the hardest time of breast feeding is the first couple months. If you can tell yourself to try to make it for two months, you will definitely be able to do it for as long as you want. I did for my boys for 7-10 months each. Definitely a bonding experience for us. :) I even had mastitis EIGHT times! But they're worth it. Totally agree with Jess too on the "this too shall pass". Hang in there! Congrats again! He's precious!
  • Jamie
    • C, try some coconut water for the dehydration, it works so well & has great natural minerals. I had to feed my 1st with a dropper & tiny cup where she lapped up the pumped milk like a cat! Too cute, but not so funny because it is frustrating thinking that everyone else has such an easy time with breastfeeding. Which is not true. People my post & talk a lot about the good times & the parenting victories, but the reality is for many it's hard. I had trouble with milk production & used the tonic & tea (bought at my co-op). But hydration is the key & I didn't keep up with that. I had to pump & feed. A bummer but I had to know what she was eating as she wasn't gaining weight. I really hope you start to get your energy back. Give yourself permission to not be perfect, that's hard for strong, motivated women, but letting go & breathing will go along way. Congratulations! Jamie
    • Becky
  • C- you didn't mention anything about carpel tunnel before, you poor thing, I had the same thing with my daughter it started at 28 weeks and continued post partem, it got better but never went away I got surgery on one and when they went to schedule the second I was pregnant again so now I have one that is weak but no tingles and one that is still bad. It is much better this pregnancy and only really my unfixed hand but I remember how challenging breastfeeding and holding her were...even pumping hurt my hands...so good for you for getting the hands free figured out. I may have to start wearing my hand brace again as it affects me at work but I am a lot less puffy this pregnancy so hoping it stays at bay. Not sure about with breastmilk but there is a med called nerve fix at super supplements or online that helps! Hang in there I know how frustrating that can be! Glad to know L is doing great and gaining, one less challenge to have to face! Try to do wrist stretches when ever you can.
  • C
    • Yeah, the carpel tunnel is rough. My hands and an arms start trembling and let out during breasts feeding. Hoping it will subside soon...fingers crosses (not that I can do that currently) :)
  • Becky
    • Oh I was going to say instead of a boppy try a my breast friend pillow for feeding it is easier with your hand placement, side lying was hard for me because my hand fell asleep on the side I was on but was better than a football hold. They have much better head control around 2 months so that will help make it easier in the future if you still have CTS.

      Jessica
  • Hi C!

    So sorry you are going through all of this!!! But so happy to hear you are getting a little better and that you have such a wonderful husband and family!!!

    I didn't have c sections and breast feeding didn't work that well for me, so my words of encouragement to you would be to be gentle with yourself. You are a wonderful mother...L is a lucky little man!!

    Sending love and prayers your way!

Jessie
  • Great news that L is gaining weight !!! Nice relief as you go through these trials!! My breast friend pillow is a great addition to nursing. Way more supportive than a boppy. Especially when exhausted, I could put a baby on it and just lay back against the wall while in bed and not use hands. This will be a relief on your carpel tunnel.

    • Ugh, poor latch can really do a number on your nipples. It took Nico a while to catch on, but know that once they do you'll forget how painful it was to begin with. Megan gave me great advice when I was struggling at the beginning. If you can get through the first couple a months it is smooth sailing from there.

      Thank goodness for the family support you have. It makes a world of difference. And congrats to S for experiencing his first projectile poop:). Keep us posted on all the improvements on your condition!!!
  • Yes c! Congrats on healthy L and hurray that you are feeling a little bit better.

    I had EXTrEMELY sore nipples too with my first babe. I cried every time that little nugget latched. My caregivers checked and rechecked my latch and apparently we were doing everything right. I would get so angry at the LLL books because they would say it shouldn't hurt if the baby had a good latch. Haha!

    Motherlove makes an amazing nipple cream - you can get it at whole foods.

    I can't agree more with hanging in there! The sore nipples do subside and the payoff is worth it. I barely remember that I went through that (lasted a few weeks..) but every day and week it would get better!

    Go C, you are doing so amazing!!

Monica
  • If u get cracked nipples, 1-2 tanning bed session (i know, I know) will heal them up quickly. Weird but has to do with the uv rays. I had a small circle hole in one of my nipples from poor latch for 4 wks. damen heard more f bombs than any infant should. 1 tanning session led to 90% healing.
  • Michelle
  • Thanks for sharing the update C. Glad you're making progress and that little Leo is doing well too (and Daddy-o too per the texts we were trading ;-)

    Oh the pain of latching on at first - my toes curled and I still remember it clearly. It will get better and faster than you'd think. Devlin had trouble latching on - first baby, first time mom and it was his pediatrician that determined that he was tongue-tied 2 weeks after his birth. Once she snipped the skin, latching on was easier for him and we progressed nicely. I also used the nipple shield for about a month but it was easier without it.

    Hang in there!

Lisa

Glad to hear things are improving. Hang in there--the first couple weeks of breastfeeding are really hard (& painful) even in the best situations. The carpal tunnel should hopefully subside as well-mine did. I wore braces on both arms for most of my first pregnancy.
Believe everyone when they say to do what you can and don't stress about what you can't. You and S and L will figure out what works best for your family.


  • Vanessa
    • C, I am absolutely in love with all the fabulous feedback you have received! What an amazing support group you have surrounding you! So happy to hear that things are improving and I'm confident that each new passing day will bring new joy with your little Leo. I always wished women would keep it real... Yes, the first weeks of motherhood are INCREDIBLE but I always said I would trade the first 4 weeks of nursing for another round of labor and delivery. It IS NOT glorious and most definitely trying at times but oh so worth it if able to overcome... Someday you will look back and either A) laugh about it or B) entirely forgot about it until you have moments like this to reflect on it again. Happy bonding my dear and do keep the updates coming! Lots of love to you, S and L!
    C
  • Sending a final thanks to you gals....seriously cool feedback during my transition back to health and into motherhood! So many great words of wisdom...things that only mothers can share and understand! I've got 5 other new and soon-to-be-new mothers due within 2 weeks of L's birth. I'll now have this great insight if they need tips from the experts! Priceless information indeed!

    Hugs to you all...and happy mothering! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers