While Jared was at NTC our Dog Chopper broke his leg. I am not really sure what happened it was raining outside and I was throwing his ball and he slid on the cement in our garage chasing it and ran into some boxes but nothing that seemed like he would have been injured. He began limping and refused to bear weight on it so the next day I took him to the vet and the doctor told me it would be $1000 dollars to fix it they would need to sedate him just for the Xray. Ok so my dog is very well behaved so much that he will roll from side to side while I clean his ears. He does not need sedation for an xray. I just can’t believe how awful the Staff at PetSmart make you feel. OK let me just vent for a moment, In the medical field we don’t sedate our patients that come in from horrible child abusers when we do a full skeletal x-ray of each bone in their child’s body. Maybe we should but honestly the risk of sedating someone including a dog is far more dangerous and traumatic with IV insertion than the risk for radiation exposure to have to re-shoot the image. Besides she wasn’t even certain it was broken. So after the X-Ray which I demanded be done without sedation and of course caved into giving my dog $100 dollars worth of pain medication. So she came back with yes it is broken...his phalange which in non medical terms is his toe. She said she needed to sedate him to splint it and reset it $800. She also tried to convince me that he would need to buy Chopper $250 in antibiotics, Ok there is no break in the skin and the dog does not have Osteomylitis so I was like are you kidding me. There is no way this is necessary. So Jared went back to Petsmart for the third time and carried in our gimpy dog with a splint on later that night. The next day we both had to work and Chopper had not messed with his splint all evening so Jared put him in the kennel. Jared came home to the splint chewed through and choppers leg was all puffy. We paid to have them re-wrap it. Then we had to go out of town and we kenneled him he had a cone on this time but the first night he got the cone off, I guess it was too small for him and chewed through the cast. They called the next day and said that the integrity of the cast was poor and thought it be best if they take him to their vet to have it fixed. Mind you there was a crazy snow storm in Washington, closing roads. Anyway the vet calls me and says that they took x-rays and two vets can't find a break. I am thinking what $800 dollars later and a huge headache and no break! They also said that the Splint that Petsmart applied was too small for a 40 pound dog and had cause him to have wounds cause by pressure sores, no wonder he was trying to chew it off. When we got home we removed the splint and have kept Choppers activity low. He seems fine apparently the xray did show a small break when we had the radiologist read it but really only needed to be splinted for a few days and given anti inflammatories.
No comments:
Post a Comment