Thursday, September 28, 2023

Beautiful Summer fades to Weather Worry

 


After living in the Pacific Northwest, I have learned there are few types of people. There are the people that are happy with the onset of cold weather and fall I would call them the hygge people, The ones that look forward to the pumpkin spice and all the niceties of a PNW fall curled up on a couch with every excuse to not go out. But here in Washington there's another breed of people that exist and I saw a few of them last week those that were taking a last stroll at lunch around the work pond, those that were basking in the last few minutes of sunshine as they stepped outside, a neighbor sitting having lunch on her porch in the sunshine.  I know that their mind was filled with similar things that I was thinking. It can't be over this can't be the last days of warm weather for the season. I just need one last boat ride, I just need one more kayak on the sound, I want to make it up for one more hike before the snow falls or the rain pours. I didn't do enough; I didn't create enough memories; it went by so fast. I call us the fun makers; I think it's people like me that want to take up every moment of a beautiful day and enjoy it to its fullest. On sunny days towards the end of summer, I almost feel paralyzed to try to fit in all the things that I think we need to do, I get anxious to make the wrong choice. Seeing people from the South starting school so early and with social media posting first day pics it like it's knocking on my door as soon as August rolls around, reminding me you don’t have much time left. It’s the start of league fall sports that infringe on parent’s last summer memories with their growing kids. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we can sometimes squeeze September into our summer months. Usually, we get a late start, and it doesn't warm up until just after the 4th of July.  I still can't figure out who those people are that are excited about the cold coming and all the drizzle, especially here. I remember growing up in Minnesota with the crisp fall leaves and the cold wind starting. It was so beautiful and sunny, the trees were every color of gold and red, but here fall is something different and people still desire it and wish for it. Maybe it’s because this weather is the perfect excuse to not do all the things. Excused to not get dressed up, to not do your hair nice… why bother, it's just going to get messy and wet.  Easier to make excuses to eat comfort foods, it’s easy to hide a few pounds under your sweatshirts. There’s no need to feel the pressure to work out when your body is covered from head to toe.

In the Pacific Northwest only a few trees change color and the majority turn yellow or red but when the leaves fall there are very few days that they are crisp and crunchy. Making a pile of leaves to jump in here makes you wet and messy with leaves that are decomposing. In Minnesota and the East coast this was a welcomed activity, along with stopping at the Apple farms. My memories of fall and college life as a MN Gopher were hand in hand.  Only a few days here in Washington can you walk and get the crunchy sound of crisp leaves beneath your feet. Going to the pumpkin patch and corn mazes in the rain is not unheard of. Friday Night Lights and every practice in between is often dimmed by downpours and drizzling rain.   

So here I am at the end of summer experiencing “weather worry”, it’s fleeting, the last moments of saying goodbye to the sun, postponing paying bills and housework that needs tending to for playtime in the garden. It's deciding to keep the boat on the water a little longer for one last sunset cruise, even though it won't likely be used and may be more work than its worth in the rain. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers